50% off tickets
***AVAILABLE UNTIL 6 AUGUST ONLY aT BIRMINGHAM mUSEUM & ART GALLERY***
50% off tickets to visit Thresholds on presentation of Brumpic Culture Card or book online here using special voucher code BrumpicCC
Mat Collishaw’s Thresholds restages the world’s first ever exhibition of photography in virtual reality. Using the latest technology, Collishaw's work offers visitors the closest thing to time travel by allowing them to feel physically present at an epoch defining moment in our cultural heritage.
In collaboration with a host of experts including Pete James, VR specialists, architectural historians and world experts on photography to produce an experience that delivers multiple levels of reality, Thresholds invites visitors to experience the first ever photographic exhibition, by Henry Fox Talbot, which took place in Birmingham in 1839. Through both a VR engine and an actual room with tangible objects, the physical experience synchronises with the VR visuals. Visitors can walk freely and untethered around the exhibit, with the ability to touch displays and feel other sensations such as heat from a fireplace. The reverberations of the Chartist demonstrations of the period can be heard and glimpsed through the windows, drawing parallels between the social consequences of the industrial revolution and the potential ramifications of technological progress.
Thresholds sits within a wider contextualising exhibition of original photographic prints by William Henry Fox Talbot, stereoscopic images of King Edwards School, Birmingham and contemporary artist, Cornelia Parker’s work inspired by Fox Talbot.
All Public Enquiries
Tel: 0121 348 8038
Until 6 August from Thursday to Sunday. Open from 10am to 4.45pm. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday and from 10.30am on Fridays.
Terms and Conditions
- Exhibition runs until 6 August from Thursday to Sunday. Open from 10am to 4.45pm. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday and from 10.30am on Fridays.
- Recommended for age 14 and over (young children and babies cannot be admitted).
- Visitors are required to wear a backpack for the duration of the exhibition weighing 3.5 kg.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your session.
- Capacity is limited and entry is timed so latecomers cannot be admitted.
- Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable.
- You will be required to produce your Culture Card on arrival.